Friday, April 23, 2010

Happy Friday!!


Friday is my favorite day of the week, so Happy Friday! My irises have finally bloomed. We planted them three years ago after moving to Charlotte and they have come up every year but haven't bloomed until this year. They originally came from my grandmother's farm, she had flowers planted all along the fence in front of her house.
Now that the weather has gotten warmer an ice cream truck has been driving through our neighborhood every evening. While I'm a little too old to chase down an ice cream truck, it has made me want ice cream! I've got a notebook where I put recipes I've cut out of magazines and newspapers. I was looking through it the other day and found a recipe for Easy Ice Cream Cake that I got out of Real Simple magazine several years ago. I've never made it but it looks really good, so I think it needs to go on my to do list!
1 c. heavy cream
2 T. confectioners' sugar
6 ice cream sandwiches
1/2 c. chocolate chips, chopped
Line an 8 1/2 x 4 1/2 inch loaf pan with a piece of wax paper or parchment paper, allowing the paper to hang over both long sides. In a large bowl, beat the cream and sugar until stiff peaks form. In the bottom of the pan, arrange 3 of the sandwiches in a single layer, cutting them to fit as necessary. Spread with half the whipped cream. Repeat with the remaining sandwiches and whipped cream. Sprinkle the top of the cake with the chopped candy bar. Cover with plastic wrap and freeze until firm, at least 1 hour and up to 1 week. Holding both sides of the paper overhang, lift the cake out of the pan and transfer to a platter. Discard the paper, slice the cake and serve.

No comments: